top of page

Vehicle Release Proceedures​

What Do I Need To Take Possession of My Vehicle? 

To ensure a vehicle is released to the proper person, three items are required before you can claim your vehicle.

Photo Identification

Legal Instrument(s) Identifying Vehicle/Vessel Ownership

Valid Form of Payment for the total amount due.

Please note a vehicle/vessel stored in our impound lot can only be released to the legal and/or registered owner. The exception is when the legal and/or registered owner is unable to appear to claim his or her vehicle including hospitalization, out of the area and incarceration. Should the owner be unavailable to claim their vehicle, a completed and legally notarized Vehicle Release Form is necessary to claim the vehicle.  We require the original notarized form, photocopies will not be accepted.




In the case where the legal and/or registered owner has been judged “mentally incompetent” by a signed court order, a copy of such court order accompanied by a valid and/or legal “power-of-attorney” instrument will be required for vehicle release.

In the case where the legal and/or registered owner is deceased then a valid/legal Death Certificate will be required for presentation at the time of vehicle release, in addition to documents providing proof that the person the vehicle/vessel is being released to is the Estate Executor of the legal and/or registered owner of the vehicle being released, or any legal and binding document(s) that can establish that the person claiming such a vehicle has a legal right to take possession of same.

Accepted Forms of Photo Identification

(Federal or State Government Issued)

Valid State Driver License

Valid State of Issued ID Card

Active U.S. Military ID Card

Valid U.S. Passport

Other valid U.S. Federal Government issued ID with photo

Accepted Forms of Payment

Cash Only


Accepted Forms of Legal Vehicle/Vessel Ownership 

Valid Vehicle/Vessel State Registration or Title


Commercial Vehicle Release Procedure

An officer of the impounded vehicle's legally registered company must present the company's Articles of Incorporation from the company identifying the claimant as an officer of the company retrieving same. Or, A written letter of authorization on company letterhead from an officer of the company affirmed by a Notary Public that recognizes an agent of said company to retrieve the vehicle on their behalf. 


Rental or Lease Vehicle Release Procedure

Impounded vehicles registered and owned by a rental or lease company will only be released to an authorized agent of said company (i.e., Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, Budget, U-Haul, Ryder, etc.). An authorized agent of the rental or lease company must present a "Hold Harmless" letter on company letterhead at the time of payment and release. This includes the retrieval of any personal items inside the rental or lease vehicle.

When Can I Claim My Vehicle?

Any Vehicle impounded by Jimmy Nichols Towing & Repair, LLC  is available for release to its owner or the owner's agent/designee during normal business hours Monday-Friday 8-6 & Sat 8-1.  Vehicles wishing to be claimed outside of regular business hours or on holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day) will incur a $75 after hours gate fee.

bottom of page